Saturday, February 03, 2007

Annnnd the classes drama continues. To catch you up, I had gotten permission from AC to count one of my literature classes as an English credit (which would save me schedule room next year and just be very convenient all around) but it turns out the translation class I just transferred into (I didn't test into it because the placement test was ridiculous, I tested into a lower level grammar class, but they pretty much let me move up on my own) has five Wednesday meetings at 9 a.m., which conflict with that literature class.

So I've been fighting with the registrar over it and, yeah, they won't let me take Francophone literature AND translation, because apparently it's just impossible to miss 5 classes the whole semester. So I had to choose, and I chose translation. I went to it yesterday, and it was so cool. And really, I didn't have that much interest in Francophone literature (which is... African/other former French-colonized people writing in French about their experiences and thoughts, which almost invariably amounts to (and I am sorry but it is true): White people suck), it was just going to be one less out of 4 English classes I'll have to take in my remaining 2 semesters at AC for my English major. Which was going to be really nice. Oh, and the teacher was pretty cool. But oh well.

So, now I need another class, and Marie said I can take an outside class and still not have to pay extra, despite already doing Japanese. So, there's a literature class at the Institut Catholique, and a literature class at the Sorbonne that I am looking into. I'll go to both and pick one. Either way, my Fridays will be eaten into, which is very displeasing to me, because I wanted them totally free to travel/work?/hang out. The Sorbonne class will eat into them a LOT, which is why I kinda don't want to pick that except for the whole "SORBONNE!!" name recognition thing. But it won't even be at the actual Sorbonne building (which I have already walked past numerous times). The lower level classes, which is what we can take since we are only freshmen in the French university system, are in other buildings scattered all over Paris. So even though it'd be cool to say "I took classes at the Sorbonne," it won't be like ACTUALLY taking classes at the REAL Sorbonne building. I dunno. hmm

Wowww, this cat goes crazy when everyone is out of the house. I woke up to an empty house (since it's Friday, naturally) and she is just WAILING PITIFULLY every so often. Then she comes and bugs me, walking all over me and wanting to be petted and following me around everywhere! Cat!! I can't pay attention to you all the time!! And you make things fall off my desk with your endless wandering! Stop!!

Annnnyway. Tonight was fun :) Louvre exploring in the afternoon (Egyptian section!!! Which is huge, we only covered the ground-floor stuff, which I think is still most of it, and was still a lot of stuff. I saw the CAT MUMMIES! Poor kitties!), then seeing of Little Children in the evening (craazy movie).

My mommy is coming to visit me in March!! yay :) We're going to go to Disneyland, and Normandy, and all sorts of places. She's staying within walking distance of me too, so yay :D

Umm, other stuff later, blah blah, I just need to write in this thing more often. And maybe taking pictures, which I haven't been doing. It's not fantastic here yet, but it's good, and I have hopes that it will be eventually. Japan has been set up in my mind as the perfect experience, though, so it's going to be hard to top. When I get back home I am going to have a lot to say on doing a split-year to prospective study abroad students, that is for sure, hahah.

No comments: