Thursday, January 18, 2007

I'M HEEEERRRRREE. wah, I hate the language barrier already. I can't WAIT to get back into French classes and brush up ASAP.

Ummm. I didn't get taken in by a faux taxi!! Although I was totally approached like 3 times for one. NOO, I SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOUR SCAM! I might have gotten gypped on my money conversion, though. I didn't see the thing about conversion places often charging hefty fees, so although it says $300 should be 231 euros, I only got 199. wah! Oh well. It's ATMs from here on out anyway. The taxi ride was fine, only 35 euros but we didn't pass any famous sights or anything.

My host family lives in the coolest rickety old apartment EVER. My room is huge!! The whole place is huge! The cat rocks, I love this cat. She looks just like R.C., my old cat, but 10 times more inquisitive. When I arrived she was the first one into my room sniffing around and checking everything out. They seem really nice, I wish my French was better!! ahhhh

Because of the ice in Houston (where I had my connecting flight), my plane definitely sat on the tarmac for like 4 hours before we took off. But then we fiiiinally did! I didn't sleep at all on the plane, I was too nervous. I would look at the map and be all "Ooh, we're flying over New York! Boston! The Atlantic! I have never been here before! We're really close to Ireland right now! Ooh, there's France!!" and I just couldn't settle down.

Hence, when I got to my homestay, I pretty much immediately fell asleep. That was 3 pm, then I essentially slept until 6 or 7 the next morning.

I was also really dreading getting here, like I seriously didn't want the flight to be over, but now that I'm here I'm feeling pretty giddy and all EEE I'M IN EUROPE FOR THE FIRST TIME WTF WTF IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING. I'm also pretty proud of myself for flying (internationally!) alone and doing all of that completely on my own. That's really the first time that's ever happened (I flew back from Japan alone, but going there I was with Casey and the other AC people). I'd say I was brave, but I also didn't have a choice!!

Oh yeah!! Breakfast!! My cereal had CHOCOLATE IN IT! And my host dad showed me how to make French press coffee! I only knew it was a French press because Aly had a French press last semester (thanks, Aly!! hahaha). And there was bread too! It was soooo good!

Today around noon or after I shall head out for IES offices to have orientation... first time riding the Metro!! I'm looking forward to it, though, I have missed trains! I hoooope there are cool people theeeere for me to be frieeeends wiiiitthhh...

I have seen nothing famous here so far, although I am dying to! Museeuummsss! It's weird, being in a place with actual landmarks to see. There's really no staple landmarks that you HAVE TO SEE in Tokyo... ooh, I can't wait until I know the neighborhoods here as well as the Tokyo ones!

No comments: